European cruise tips and making the most of your Mediterranean Cruise Vacation PackagesCruising Europe is a relaxing and rewarding experience - even more so when you do a little planning before you go. The more you prepare for your journey abroad, the more time you'll be able to spend simply enjoying your vacation and discovering all of the wonders the Old World has to offer.
The Best Time to Cruise the Mediterranean
May to October is European cruising's peak season, chiefly because these months offer the most sun and blue sky. And the days last longer - Scandinavia can stay sunny for nearly 20 hours a day! Mild weather makes it easy to pack and travel light, and the attractions are easily accessible - the royal gardens are abloom in London, the sidewalk cafes come alive in Paris, and beaches from the French Riviera to the islands of Spain and Greece sizzle with beauty. Outdoor festivals and art shows also make the summer popular with travelers. And in August, the crowds will be a little smaller - because many Europeans go on vacation abroad.
Early spring and late fall are also popular with travelers. American holidays (like St. Patrick's Day) and European holidays (like Germany's famed Oktoberfest) draw many visitors in Europe's cooler months. From Ireland's emerald countryside to the sun-washed vineyards of Italy, the colorful changing of the seasons can be a magical time. Some vacationers prefer this period because there are smaller crowds - imagine having Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper all to yourself! And, of course, there are plenty of great deals at this time of year.
Types of European Cruises
- Transatlantic Cruises: Cross the Atlantic amidst all the comforts of a full-service floating resort, including endless dining options and world-class entertainment at sea. Transatlantic cruises usually embark from within the U.S. or the Caribbean, and then disembark in Europe (or vice versa), so you'll only need one-way airfare. Want to start your cruise vacation immediately? Embark from a U.S. port. Prefer to save the best for last? Cruise home from Europe. If you have time, nothing beats an extended roundtrip sailing from either side of the Atlantic.
Plenty of itineraries feature ports in Great Britain, Spain, and Portugal. But some sailings include unique ports like the Canary Islands and the islands of The Azores. Located halfway across the pond, both destinations are ruggedly beautiful and rich with culture. Many transatlantic cruises also drop anchor in the Caribbean for a day or two.
- Western Mediterranean Cruises: The towering Rock of Gibraltar welcomes you to the breathtaking gateway of the Mediterranean Sea. Here, along the western shores of the sea, you'll discover an array of eclectic cities. Popular hotspots include Barcelona, Ibiza, Cannes, and Monte Carlo. For a truly exotic adventure, choose an itinerary featuring south coast stops in Morocco and Tunisia.
- Eastern Mediterranean Cruises: Once the center of power for an empire that stretched across most of Europe, Rome is the unofficial cruising capital of the Mediterranean. More cruise ships embark and disembark from the city's terminal port in nearby Civitavecchia than from any other European location. Classic Eastern Mediterranean itinerary favorites include Venice, Naples, Athens, and the islands of Italy and Greece. Popular exotic ports include Istanbul and Cairo.
- Northern European Cruises: Year after year, spectacular coastal scenery and fascinating cities keep cruisers coming back to the waterways of Northern Europe. Traditional itineraries usually include stops in London (or two nearby terminals) and Dublin. Paris and Amsterdam, located just across the English Channel, are perennial crowd-pleasers. More exotic thrills await beyond the dramatic white cliffs of Dover and the European mainland. Don't miss the hot springs and glacier-capped volcanoes of Iceland, the Viking lore and fjords of Scandinavia, and the ornate czar palaces of St. Petersburg, Russia.
- European River Cruises: To experience a vacation that is truly unique, adventurous and enriching, embark on a voyage with Uniworld Grand River Cruises and Tours. As you sail the world's historic waterways, you'll enjoy an intimate look at exotic destinations, cruising past scenic countryside, cultural landmarks and bustling city life.
- European Land and Cruise Tours: A hotel stay in an exciting gateway city is the icing on the cake - it's the most relaxing way to kick-off or wrap-up your journey. Catch up on sleep and adjust to the change in time zones, or rise with the sun - step onto your hotel room's balcony, breathe in mouthwatering scents from a local bakery, and watch the neighborhood come alive. Overnight stays also afford you an opportunity to experience completely the legendary nightlife of vibrant gateway cities like London and Barcelona.
Amazon.com Gift Card:
Up To $750 To Prepare For Your Vacation *Amazon.com Gift Card: Up To $750 To Prepare For Your Vacation *Get the fun started before you’ve even boarded your cruise! Book a new and qualifying cruise and receive a Amazon Gift Card valued up to $750. Spend it on luggage, flip-flops, sunscreen, bathing suits, or any other Amazon.com merchandise that would make your upcoming vacation that much more special. Your gift card code will be emailed to you approximately 30 days before departure date. Amount of bonus varies & is based on your booking price (found in your invoice as "Total") MINUS taxes, fees, port expenses, and port charges*
If you book a cruise that departs soon (within 36 days), your gift card code will be sent to you after you return home. Use your gift card to prepare for your adventure or to enhance your next vacation experience!
Total Price (taxes, fees, port expenses, and port charges)Gift Card Value$0 - $1,250$25$1,251 - $2,250$50$2,251 - $3,000$75$3,001 - $3,500$100$3,501 - $4,000$125$4,001 - $4,500$150$4,501 - $5,000$200$5,001 - $7,500$300$7,501 - $10,000$400$10,000+$750
Hurry - Offer Ends Soon!
Up To $750 To Spend Onboard †- Book Online or Call!Onboard Credit: Up To $750 To Spend Onboard † - Book Online or Call!Spend it in your ship's spa, shops, and specialty restaurants or apply it towards shore excursions! Simply book a qualifying voyage, then prior to departure, complete and submit the redemption form found on your invoice, and we'll credit up to $750 to your onboard account, which you can use while you're sailing. Please see our grid below for bonus amounts. Restrictions apply, see terms below for details. Amount of bonus varies & is based on your booking price (found in your invoice as "Total") MINUS taxes, fees, port expenses, and port charges †
Total Price (minus taxes, fees, port expenses, & port charges)Onboard Spending$0 - $1,250$25$1,251 - $2,250$50$2,251 - $3,000$75$3,001 - $3,500$100$3,501 - $4,000$125$4,001 - $4,500$150$4,501 - $5,000$200$5,001 - $7,500$300$7,501 - $10,000$400$10,000+$750
Book Online or Call!
Book Now, Pay Later:
We'll Waive Your Deposit- Book Online or Call!Book Now, Pay Later: We'll Waive Your Deposit - Book Online or Call!Put your dream vacation on the calendar now, and pay for it later! When you book select 3+ night sailings, we'll waive the booking deposit for the first 5 staterooms on your reservation.
BOOK NOW - OFFER ENDS FRIDAY!Additional Terms & Conditions
Advanced Deposit offer is valid for new individual cruise reservations for sailings departing by 12/31/20. Offer is limited to sailings of 3 nights or longer booked at least 110 days prior to departure (or 140 days for Disney, 7-night or longer Norwegian sailings, and 15 night or longer MSC sailings); maximum $500 value and not valid on bookings requiring non-refundable deposits. Deposit must be paid 10 days prior to final payment due date; if changes are made benefit will become void and the cruise lines full deposit is required; changes resulting in a new cruise line booking are considered a cancellation, subject to cruise line’s cancellation policy, our $24.99 processing fee, and $100 cancel fee. Credit card used at time of booking will automatically be charged when the deposit remainder is due. Offer limited to 5 deposited cabins max. for 1 sailing. Offer is not applicable for redemption bookings. Additional restrictions apply.
Go Best on Edge :
Savings, Perks & Free Kids' FaresGo Best on Edge : Savings, Perks & Free Kids' FaresEmbark on an unforgettable cruise aboard Celebrity Edge – the most anticipated ship of the year – and rake in the savings! For a limited time, enjoy up to $200 in savings on oceanview and veranda bookings, up to $300 in savings on Concierge Class and AquaClass bookings, and up to $400 in savings on suite bookings.
Plus, when you book an oceanview stateroom or above you'll get ALL 4 of these free perks:
- Premium beverage package for 2 – a value of $1,840 per stateroom
- Free pre-paid gratuities for 2 – a value of up to $394 per stateroom
- Onboard credit – a value of up to $300 per stateroom
- Unlimited high-speed internet – a value of up to $598 per stateroom
And that's not all! Kids sail for free AND third and fourth guests in your stateroom get 50% off their cruise fares.
HURRY – ENDS SOON!
Search Celebrity Edge cruisesAdditional Terms & Conditions
Offer is valid only for new individual bookings made between 3/21/19 and 3/27/19 by midnight Eastern Standard Time for select staterooms aboard Celebrity Edge sailings departing between 2/10/19 and 12/31/19. Not all dates in this range qualify. Offer is valid for the 1st and 2nd passengers on the reservation. Savings amounts are per person and vary by stateroom category: $100 for oceanview and veranda, $150 for Concierge Class and AquaClass, and $200 for suites. Perks Offer: Each of the first two guests in a qualifying oceanview, veranda, Concierge Class, AquaClass, or suite stateroom are eligible to receive four complimentary amenities: Premium Beverage Package, Unlimited Internet Package, $150 per person onboard credit, and Prepaid Gratuities. Free Kids offer applies to the cruise fare of third and fourth passengers up to 17 years of age, booked in an inside stateroom or higher. 50% Off Savings offer applies to the cruise fare of third and fourth passengers, 18 years of age or older, booked in an ocean view stateroom or higher. Offer based on guest age at the time of final payment. Offer is subject to availability, capacity-controlled, limited by the cruise line, and may be changed or withdrawn at any time without notice. Additional restrictions may apply.
Up to $500 to Spend on Board & up to Free Air- Call to BookSelect Cruisetours: Up to $500 to Spend on Board & up to Free Air - Call to BookSee the Elegant Elbe or Portugal's River of Gold. Book select 2019 cruisetours to enjoy up to $500 to spend on board and– even better – up to free all-inclusive airfare. Hurry, this special offer ends soon!
BOOK NOW – OFFER EXPIRES SOON!
Search Viking River cruisesAdditional Terms & Conditions
Offer valid on bookings made from March 18 to March 31, 2019. Cruise from $3,999 per person based on May-August 2019 departures of Portugal's River of Gold in categories E & F; cruise from $3,999 per person based on July-August 2019 departures of Elegant Elbe in category E; other departures may be higher, please call for details. $500 shipboard credit per stateroom. Prices are in US dollars and for US residents only. Viking all-inclusive air with transfers available. Air does not have to be purchased to get cruise/tour offer. All fares reflect cruise taxes, port taxes and fees. Additional restrictions may apply. Book by March 31, 2019; pay in full by May 31, 2019 or within 90 days of departure, if earlier. Cruise Offer expires March 31, 2019. FREE Economy air based on May-August 2019 departures of Portugal's River of Gold; July-August 2019 departures of Elegant Elbe. Call for details. Air prices are per person based on cruise or cruise tour check-in date and include transfers. Air seats are limited; airfares are subject to change until full payment of air is received. Click here to learn more about airline baggage allowances and fees. Air offers valid on all N. American gateways except Alaska, Hawaii, San Juan and Mexico City. Ask for Offer SBC19. Offer expires March 31, 2019.
Featured Europe Cruises
Venture deeper. Go native. Open yourself up to a new level of sophistication and comfort when you sail down the length of the world's most fantastic and exotic rivers – opening up new channels of exploration and stepping out onto the banks of villages and towns you simply can't experience with traditional cruising by sea. From coasting down the length of the Elbe River, penetrating deep into the German countryside, to sailing China's Yangtze River and witnessing Beijing, Shanghai, and beyond, river cruising is authentic and exciting. Specially-designed river cruise vessels act as floating hotels, ready to accommodate and comfort as you rest up from thrilling explorations across a multitude of destinations. Choose from a range of river cruise lines to personalize and customize your adventure down the world's most legendary rivers.
Search Cruise Lines Traveling to Europe
About European Cruises
Book an eligible stateroom on any qualifying sailing and receive a free upgrade! In some cases, you'll be upgraded to a more desirable location aboard your ship. In other instances, you'll be upgraded to a stateroom with extra space and/or a better view. It's also possible that you might receive all of these benefits. Select your sailing date to see which upgrades are available.